• Roman husbands used dildos for deflowering virgin brides. If that is not enough of a shock, it was done in a public ritual.
• Ancient texts from around the world, including the Arabian Nights, mention fruit, vegetables, and other penis-shaped objects being used for sexual stimulation and fulfillment.
• Some Africans made dildos out of camel dung combined with resin, then dried in the desert air.
• Dildos were also used in Renaissance Italy, where they were called "dilettos", from the Italian word for "to delight". In both Greece and Italy, dildos were made from wood or leather, and were used with olive oil for lubrication.
• Dildos are seen in art throughout history. Were those first cave paintings made by the naughty cavewomen of the time? Hard to say. But we do know they are apparent in Greek Vase Art.